Enter your email address in the text box below to follow updates made to this page courtesy of FeedMyInbox.com.
Once redirected, click on the "Submit" button and you will receive updates to my blog in your inbox.



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chanterelle Mushroom Tacos with Honey Lime Butter Lettuce Salad




















































































































Serves 2

Ingredients

Chanterelle Mushroom Tacos
(adapted from Heidi Swanson)

2 cups fresh chanterelle mushrooms, sliced in half
2 tortillas
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
3/4 cup savoy cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup caramelized onions
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Honey Lime Butter Lettuce Salad

2 cups butter lettuce, ripped into bite size pieces, washed, and spun
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup fresh feta cheese

Honey Lime Dressing

juice of half a lime
1 Tbs olive oil (Mediterranean)
1 Tbs wildflower honey
1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper

Directions

Start by caramelizing 1 large onion cut into thin slices on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes (I already had some leftovers in the refrigerator).
Next, saute the chanterelle mushrooms on medium heat in the ghee until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Drain any water that is excreted from the mushrooms so your taco is not soggy. Add in the caramelized onions and garlic, saute 1 minute until heated through. Place mushroom mixture in a bowl and heat tortillas on low heat in the same pan for 1 minute flipping halfway through. Place half of mushroom mixture in each taco, top with cheese, cabbage, and cilantro. Roll taco up like a burrito and place back in pan on low heat to warm up the taco on each side for about a minute. To serve slice in half.
Meanwhile, prepare dressing by placing all ingredients in a mason jar, cover, and shake vigorously. Place butter lettuce, almonds, and feta in a large bowl and cover with the dressing. Mix to evenly combine and divide the salad between 2 plates.

I had seen the chanterelle mushroom taco recipe from Heidi Swanson in my Whole Living magazine and I thought they looked beautiful and that it was a great idea for a taco. When I went to the co-op yesterday they had beautiful fresh chanterelles so I knew I needed to make the tacos. The original recipe was more simple with just the mushrooms, garlic, and cheese, so I decided to add more veggies to bump up the nutrition and flavor. I thought cilantro was the perfect herb to compliment the flavors. The recipe came together quickly since I already had the caramelized onions made. I didn't add any salt because you get salt from the cheese, but feel free to add some if you prefer. I was very happy with the salad dressing I invented. I wanted something that would go with the taco theme, so I started with the lime and cilantro. I hesitated to add a whole tablespoon of honey, but I knew it would only make it better, which was completely true. Eric was crazy about the dressing! The sweetness of the honey and the saltiness of the feta made the side salad standout. It was a nice surprise. The butter lettuce, which is my favorite, also added a smooth factor to the salad. We were very satisfied after this meal. It was the perfect light summer supper.



No comments:

Post a Comment