Enter your email address in the text box below to follow updates made to this page courtesy of FeedMyInbox.com.
Once redirected, click on the "Submit" button and you will receive updates to my blog in your inbox.



Friday, July 29, 2011

Red White Sauce over Spaghetti


Ingredients

1 jar marinara sauce
1 yellow heirloom tomato, diced
1 pkg whole wheat spaghetti noodles
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 tsp himalayan salt
1 tsp pepper

White Sauce
3 1/2 Tbs ghee (clarified butter)
3 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 cups original hazelnut milk
3 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp garlic salt

Directions
Melt ghee in a large saucepan, add garlic, saute 30 seconds, add flour, and whisk until rue is smooth. Next, add hazelnut milk, whisk until smooth, and cook on medium low heat until thick and creamy. Then, add in marinara sauce and tomato and simmer for 10 minutes. Finish with the basil, salt, and pepper just before serving.
Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions. Top pasta with the sauce.

I was inspired to create this after remembering how wonderful it was to mix red pizza sauce with the creamy garlic white pizza sauce when I worked at Papa Murphys in high school. I thought I would try the red white combo with pasta for a comfy meal. Eric and I just switched to drinking hazelnut milk and I am really loving it, so I was curious as to how it would turn out in the white sauce. Well, it was the best non-dairy milk I have ever used in a white sauce. I have tried several different types and they are either too sweet or just a little off. So from now on I will be using hazelnut milk in my sauces:) The marinara sauce that I buy is also amazing, so I knew after tasting the yummy white sauce that this was going to be a homerun. I saw the beautiful heirloom tomato on the counter and I thought the yellow color would add something special to the sauce. The sauce only got better the longer it sat. Eric was in love with it, so it was a good thing I made so much. I served some fresh Rustica olive loaf bread on the side, which was perfect for soaking up the yummy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment