Enter your email address in the text box below to follow updates made to this page courtesy of FeedMyInbox.com.
Once redirected, click on the "Submit" button and you will receive updates to my blog in your inbox.



Monday, July 18, 2011

Simmered Shiitake Mushroom Sandwich

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 large shiitake mushrooms, stems sliced
2 large pieces of savoy cabbage
4 slices peasant rye bread

Simmering Sauce (adapted from Vegetarian Times)
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
3 Tbs shoyu
3 Tbs mirin
3 tsp brown sugar

Sriracha Mayo
3 Tbs veganaise
1 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Directions

Simmer mushrooms in the simmering sauce on low heat for 10 minutes until tender. Mix together the sriracha mayo ingredients. Layer sandwich: bread, mayo, cabbage, mushroom.

Eric and I found these amazing large shiitake mushrooms at our co-op and they were so delicious! They were so large that the cashier rang them up as portobellos, but then we corrected him (even though they are more expensive:) If you can't find large shiitake, just use the small ones, it will all taste the same. I decided that the simmering sauce I had used in my Japanese meal for the dried shiitake would be perfect for these. I wanted some spice to counter the sweetness of the simmering sauce, so the sriracha mayo was perfect. I always like to use cabbage as a "lettuce" in my sandwiches because it's delicious and crunchy and adds a ton of nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment