Enter your email address in the text box below to follow updates made to this page courtesy of FeedMyInbox.com.
Once redirected, click on the "Submit" button and you will receive updates to my blog in your inbox.



Monday, September 5, 2011

Oat Soda Bread






















































Adapted from 101 Cookbooks

Ingredients

2 cups oat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 Tbs sesame seeds (topping)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Mix to combined and knead for 30 seconds until well combined. You may need to adjust the amount of buttermilk if it is too dry. Place the loaf on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cut 2 slits 1 inch deep on top, brush with buttermilk, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes, then move to top rack, and bake another 20 minutes.

Nothing is better than freshly baked warm bread slathered with butter:) I have a tendency to steer away from yeast breads and go for the quick and easy soda breads, so when I saw the recipe on the 101 cookbooks blog I knew I had to try it. I made a few adaptations to the original recipe. I ran out of all-purpose flour, so I substituted spelt flour which is a lighter flour than my other whole-grain options. I also used a lot more buttermilk because it was too dry and I was having a hard time mixing the dry ingredients in. You could add any seed that you would like on top. I just happened to have sesame seeds. Pumpkin seeds are also great. Eric and I devoured this bread when it first came out of the oven. We sat outside with tea, some warm buttered bread, a deck of cards, and we were in heaven:)

No comments:

Post a Comment